Monday, August 15, 2011

The Inside Story to the SEC's Non-Invite to Texas A&M

A phone call between Richard Box, Chairman of the Texas A&M Board of Regents, and Bernie Machen, University of Florida president and chairman of SEC's presidents and chancellor committee.


"Sure would be nice if you SEC fellas would extend that invite back our way. Should have listened to you last summer."


"I don't know about that. Seems kind of late now."


"Please."


"Alright, fine. I'll ask the others. Hold on."


"I can vouch for them."


"How the hell are you on this call? This is a secure line!"


"You don't get called The Dark Prince by keeping your hands out of the cookie jar."


"You know, Richard, I think we're all set for now. But, hey, we'll get back to you in a few weeks. Sound good? Alright, bye now."
(hangs up)


"Dammit."


"Sorry to hear that, Richard.  Maybe they'll call back.  We still on for a few hands of gin at three o'clock, your office?"


(sighs)
"Yeah. If this thing with Governor Perry doesn't run long.  I should be there close to then."


"Okay, I'll bring the cards and you still owe me $150 from last time."


"I know, I know. I'll see you at three."
(hangs up)
(sobs at desk)

No comments:

Post a Comment