Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dave Rowe Calls ESPN About a Job


Former Jefferson Pilot/Lincoln Financial/Raycom/It Starts at 11:30 color analyst Dave Rowe is back in the market for a job. His good friend and former broadcast partner, Dave Neal, has given him a number to HR at ESPN.

"Okay, let's see here, eight...six...zero...four...oh, shoot. Should have been a five."

(hangs up, tries again, dials wrong number)

"Haha! Oh, boy, that was the old office number at Jefferson. Man, can't believe I still remember that one!"

(hangs up, tries again, dials wrong number)

"Haha! Got it wrong again! That's Ace Hardware's number. What in the world am I doing!"

(hangs up, tries again, hears the computer modem sound)

"What the- oh, come on. Hey, honey?!? I need to use the phone. Can you get off the computer? I'm calling about a job. No, not at the library. The one with ESPN. I...Dave gave me the number. Said they might be interested. Yeah. Dave from the Jefferson and Lincoln days. I don't know, I haven't talked to them yet. Okay, thank you."

(dials again, hears nothing)

"Hello? Hello? Can you hear me? Hello? Anyone there? Shoot."

(hangs up, dials again, hears nothing)

"Hello there? Hello? Hello? Dang it. What the heck am I doing wrong?"

(hangs up, dials again, hears nothing)

"Hello? ESPN? Hello? Can anyone hear me? This is Dave Rowe. Partner? Are you there? Anyone? Hello?"

(spends three more hours calling before his wife points out the phone was not plugged into the jack; does not get job with ESPN)

No comments:

Post a Comment